Copenhagen Harbor

Copenhagen Harbor

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hayley and The Never Ending Bus Ride


Our story continues and I am still in the thick of orientation with my new surroundings. Monday started the three day marathon of lectures and sign-ups for the school, but Sunday had lulled me into a false sense of security. I sat around on a lazy Sunday like a regular Dane, relaxing and spending time with my family. The extended family this time! Kirsten's sister and her family stopped by for a lovely lunch and we chatted for a good part of the day. After such a stress free day, Monday was like a tornado. No sleeping in today, up by 6:45 and on the train by 7:40 as to not miss our welcome lecture at the music hall. After being squished in with all of the 1,200 some odd DIS students we were set free onto the streets of Copenhagen to arrive at our varying next locations.
Kylie and I happened upon some fellow Gettysburgians and joined them on a quest for coffee. After waiting in a very long line and fumbling with conversions of kroner to dollars in our heads, the coffee was acquired and we meandered towards our next stop: the Grand Theater, for a lecture on student affairs.


"what does students affairs really mean, what are they even going to be talking to us about?"
asked a friend. Little did I know that the answer was soon to be: how to pick up Danish women. The alumni they brought out to speak to us talked about his immersions experiences and proceeded to have not 1 but 2 of a maybe 10 slide power point dedicated to the dos and don’ts of flirting with Danish women at the bars. I found that amusing, though I found the rest of the information from the session a bit more helpful.
We filed out of the theater and sped out way to the textbook pick up to beat the lines we had foreseen. What I hadn't seen in my future was the number and bulk of textbooks I would be taking away with me. I was awarded a grand total of 11 books for my 4 courses this semester; including a hefty text book on midwifery and 5 for my history of European film class, alone.

Now with our academic luggage in tow, Kylie and I bid adieu to our Gettysburg compatriots and made our way to Copenhagen Central Station. Navigating the train was old hat, but we met our downfall at the bus stop.
As I boarded the bus Kylie struggled to find her bus pass, unbeknownst to me. So I rode away on the bus and watched as Kylie faded away in the distance still rifling through her backpack at the train station bus stop. I freaked out immediately because I was counting on Kylie to recognize our bus stop. And if the title hasn't given you a clue already, I ended up missing my stop and had to ride the bus allllll the way back around to the train station. When I had realized I missed my stop I called my host mom but she was at work and couldn't tell where I was saying I was near; so she suggested I ask another passenger for help. I turned to the girl next to me and looking not so sure of herself, she whipped out an app to tell me the best way to get where I was going. She told me to go all the way back to the train station then get on a different bus. She was giving the best help she could, but in reality she only made my travel longer. When I should have stayed on the bus I was on a bit longer, instead I followed her instructions and ended up on a bus which would, yes, get me to my destination but, according to the bus driver,  tool the long way around and it would be another 30 minutes on the bus for me. Finally after a long 1.5+ of sitting on a bus dazed and confused, I arrived home to find Kylie had beat me there. Though not without struggles of her own. She did find her pass and caught the next bus but she got off too early and had to walk 20 minutes to get home. Moral of the story don’t assume Kylie or especially I know what we're doing when it comes to buses.
My bus struggles made my day a lot longer for sure but I think it was actually an experience for good. I surprised myself in that I did not panic, or break out into tears. I did not feel lost and alone and confused (though I was), I felt calm because I knew I would find my way eventually, I wasn't in any danger, and I trusted myself to figure out how to get myself out of the mess I created. Now hours later sitting safe in my bed, I chalk it up to experience. I guess I have to get lost a couple times before I become a savvy Danish commuter.

No comments:

Post a Comment