Copenhagen Harbor

Copenhagen Harbor

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Ladies and Gentlemen, Sharpen Your Pencils

and They're Off!!!classes have started and the real work begins, because technically I am here to STUDY abroad, and this means some studying will have to be done.So, what will I be studying?
My schedule is actually very light, 2 classes a day with every Wednesday off. I really can't complain (but we all know I will). 

with 1st day jitters coursing through me a walk around scavenging for my first classroom. And my nerves of getting lost are for nothing, I find my class quite easily. Danish is first and it is a small setting with a very pleasant teacher. Christina is a Dane who went to school for Spanish and French but married an American and so she has ended up speaking English quite a lot. She is beyond sweet and gives us all  flødeboller , a tasty danish treat that is similar to an American Mallomar. Christina took the time to warn us that Danes find it funny to make Americans say Rødgrød med fløde which is red berry pudding with cream, not an impressive dessert, but it has a title that is fantastically difficult to pronounce because of its unfamiliar ø vowel, and the soft d sound.
The next day my schedule is synced with Kylie's so we head into the city together. Once there we parted ways and I headed for my film class. The classroom ended up being this cool attic looking room, great for projecting movies in the dark. It was actually a larger class than I expected, but hey watching movies as a class, who could say no? we watched some short films that were the very first films to every be made, that was pretty cool. It was actually the Lumiere brothers who are credited with the first film to be viewed by and audience, though their films were more documentaries than narrative stories. My classes all seem really great, and they integrate some trips as well, from Berlin and Poznan, to western Denmark, to a few blocks over for dinner. It really is going to be a great semester!
I am taking 4 courses:
Heath and Human Disease: a Clinical Approach
Danish Language and Culture 1
Pregnancy, Birth and Infancy in Denmark
History of European Film 

After Danish I headed for Hvidovre Hospital (also really hard to pronounce- those pesky soft d's again!) for my Health and Human Disease class. The class is taught in the education center of the hospital by 2 doctors, the first day was really just introductions but next class we get to start right away with learning physical examination techniques!
Next, I went to my pregnancy class and wouldn't you know a walk in and my professor is actually pregnant herself! this has nothing to do with her teaching the course, but is a weird coincidence. Let's hope are final exam isn't to deliver her baby! She is actually a midwife and in Denmark 100% of women see a midwife, which is different from a doctor, and work entirely independent of doctors unless complications arise. 
I'm really excited about this class, because I think it will help me decide if midwifery is something I want to keep thinking about as an option or if I want to rule it out because it's not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment