Copenhagen Harbor

Copenhagen Harbor

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Back in the U S of A

After dealing with airport craziness as me and all the other DIS students tried to leave the same day, I had to part with my host family at the security gate. Malou (Morten's girlfriend - as a reminder) said in the car "girls don't cry because if you cry I'll cry." I then made a promise I couldn't keep, because of course the tears rolled when the time came for good byes. So with blurred vision I squeezed Kirsten, Morten and Malou one last time and headed through security.
After a random check at my gate, an 8 hour flight, customs, and waiting forever for my bags I strolled through Newark airport to see my family. 

Now in a previous text message I joked about requesting a ridiculous homecoming complete with lemurs doing parkour, the Savannah animal pyramid from the Lion King, and a cupcake cake in the likeness of Theresa Caputo among other absurd requests. To which my dad answered "Would you settle for me playing the kazoo?"
And so as I rolled up covered in luggage I was greeted by Tim, Mom, and Dad all playing little kazoos -  absolutely perfect.

When I finally got home I had a slobbery reunion with my pups as I was tackled with dog kisses and then said hey to my indifferent cat. I immediately wanted to bring Hygge to my home so my brother joined me in lighting every candle we own. I think Hygge will influence me forever and I will always be striving to make a space cozy sand hyggeligt.

I am certainly happy to be back with my family, I missed then tons. But I am also coming down from a high, I was living the life and now I'm in travel withdrawal. instead of hopping over to Sweden this weekend, I'm sitting on my couch? I guess it's not half bad relaxing with my family either, but it definitely is a life style adjustment,

Another thing I've been struggling with is JET LAG. Oh Lord is it a pain in my butt. For a week I was asleep my 7pm and up at 5am. It's been getting better now but I my body still is dealing with all the extra time if gained and didn't know what to do with. Moving East was definitely easier, I just had to pull and all-nighter and I was done, coming home as been a bit more a challenge.

It seems like I can't stop mentioning Denmark in conversation. I am always saying "well you know in Denmark..." I must be getting real annoying. But yet when some one asks me "How was Denmark?" it is just a loaded question that I freeze up and all I can say is great. I don't know how to simplify my experience into an answer to one question. And even if the question is more specific "what was your favorite part?" I can't choose. There were awesome trips and specific events, but I wouldn't pick any one as my favorite moment, And I can't explain well the feeling of being there either, I can't say exactly what I loved soo much about Denmark. It's just... Everything! I don't think I will ever be able to sum up or really truly describe my experience, it will just be integrated into my life, influencing the person I am now and will be in the future. 

Maybe you can see it a little in my photos of withing my blog posts or just from the way I talk to fondly of it in casual conversations, but I don't think anyone will be able to see my experience entirely but that's okay. I don't have to share it with everyone, I was a personal journey - it's changed me, helped me define myself a little bit more, and it has brought me so much joy that I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment