Copenhagen Harbor

Copenhagen Harbor

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

London Calling




"Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong." - Big Ben


Roll up in London and first thing me and mom do is grab a pint. We sat in a cute pub, that seemed so British, with a name like The Jack Horner - Ales and Pies, what else can you really expect. We got some beer and some food and had a hyggeligt time.

With only about 2 days to see all we wanted in London, it was a busy packed visit, and we still left so much unseen. We saw big Ben, went into Westminster Abbey, and saw the London eye from a distance because that was on the opposite of moms to do list. We saw the crown jewels, visited the outside of Buckingham palace (since tours are only in a short window of time in the summer). We ate fish and chips, saw a show in the west-end, spent a lot of time getting familiar with the tube. we walked across the tower bridge and the millennium bridge, much to mom's dismay- though I enjoyed making fun of the anxiety that bridge caused her. And we visited 2 of my favorite attractions the tower of London and Shakespeare's Globe.








The Tower of London was so much fun because we took this free little tour. I HIGHLY recommend taking the short tour if you happen to be visiting the tower of London. The beef-eater tour guide was an absolute delight. He not only knew his stuff but made it interesting with hilarious comedic commentary. It was also amazing seeing all the crown jewels. It was too bad we only got a quick glimpse at the crowns and orbs and such as you had to be on a conveyor belt to pass by it. Because without that conveyor belt I would DEFINITELY be able to break into the plate glass surrounding the crown and steal it under the eyes of 2 near by guards and the probable alarm that would sound. Just seemed like over kill to me, we get it they are expensive and important!

The Globe was probably one of my favorite things to see in London. We spent a good amount of time getting lost on our walk there and ended up getting there too late and we weren't able to take a tour before our show in the west end.  So I moped for a minute or too and then we walked away. I am so grateful that we went back the next day, and I think we ended up getting a better view of the Globe in the daylight than we would have in the evening. The theater was gorgeous and hearing about how difficult it was for actors at that time and the dangerous conditions they worked under sometimes was really interesting. I really really enjoyed the Globe and I just hope I can go back to London in season to be able to see a show there.

Though we ended our stay in London rushing to the airport in a panic of the possibility of missing our flight, it was overall a really great stay. And I really enjoyed sharing that experience with my mom as we both really appreciate British culture and definitely British TV programs.


As we returned back to Copenhagen, we hit some trouble at the airport... mom's luggage was MIA. That put a damper on things but we still saw Tivoli all dressed up for Christmas and spent a lovely brunch with Kirsten and Morten on Sunday.

Then I sent mom back home a little light on luggage but still in one piece!
I really enjoyed my holiday with Mama, I couldn't think of any better way I would have liked to spend my travel break! And it is really comforting to me to know someone at home will know a little of what I am talking about when I get home and never shut up about Denmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment